Ecclesiastes 7 has several nuggets of wisdom such as: “Don’t be too good or too wise….on the other hand, don’t be too wicked either,” (New Living Translation, verses 16-17).
With instruction to “be careful of extremes” come two questions: How do you know when you’re balanced? What do you do to stay balanced?
Mull over this list:
- Read the instructions of the Bible and consider the life lessons in context
- Pray for God to give you a balanced perspective
- Offer service to others
- Listen to spiritual mentors
- Purpose and choose to forgive ourselves and others
- Listen before reacting
- Ask God for a non-judgmental attitude
- Be open to change
- Be adventurous and try new things
- Nurture your spiritual and physical health
- Let go of “perfection” to strive for “excellence”
- Take time for community
- Interact with children
- Accept God’s grace
What else would you add to the list of ways to stay balanced?
The passage on wisdom in Ecclesiastes 7 says in verse 18: “Pay attention to these instructions, for anyone who fears God will avoid both extremes,” (NIV).